Sales figures just released by the NPD Group (formerly the National Purchase Diary) show that the continued popularity of the Mortal Kombat franchise helped drive global console and software sales figures in April 2011.
Upon launching, Mk9 sold 900,000 copies in April 2011 alone; making it the top game seller globally and marking a successful return to the market for the fighting franchise after a long absence. These sales figures had a major contribution towards the 20% global spike in growth in the sector, compared to the same period last year. This growth could however not be sustained with the game industry failing to maintain 2 consecutive months of sales growth – total sales for May 2011 fell 14% on last year to $743.1m. With very few games released onto the market when compared to May 2010, Mortal Kombat 9 was still in the top 5 world sellers list for May 2011.
L.A. Noire placed atop NPD’s software sales charts last month, the second time in as many years that Rockstar have topped the charts in May. Here’s NPD’s list of top selling games for May 2011 – please note that NPD no longer publicly releases unit sales numbers.
Title (Platforms) – Publisher
1. L.A. Noire (360, PS3) – Rockstar Games
2. Brink (360, PS3, PC) – Bethesda Softworks
3. Lego Pirates of the Caribbean (360, PS3, PSP, Wii, 3DS, DS, PC) – Disney Interactive Studios
4. Portal 2 (360, PS3, PC) – EA Partners
5. Mortal Kombat 9 (360, PS3) – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
6. Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, DS, Wii, PC) – Activision
7. Zumba Fitness (360, PS3, Wii) – Majesco
8. NBA 2K11 (360, PS3, PS2, Wii, PSP, PC) – Take-Two Interactive
9. Just Dance 2 (Wii) – Ubisoft
10. Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Wii, 360, DS, PS3, 3DS, PSP, PC) – LucasArts
We are very proud of our association with Warner Brothers on the launch of Mortal Kombat 9 and look forward to further collaborations with them in the future. Making the arcade cabinets was great fun; as was watching so many people take part in the competitions.
For more information about our limited edition MK9 promo arcade machines, read our previous blog posts below:
Original Post: Mortal Kombat 9 arcade machines commissioned by Warner Brothers.
Detailled follow-up article: MK9 arcade machines in action, complete with pics and video.
To find out about how to commission one of our incredible arcade machines for yourself, please do not hesitate to mail or call us directly anytime on +44 (0)207 935 9005.